Sunday, October 31, 2010

Nadine Ames, Miss Indonesia 2010

Miss Indonesia and English


Indonesia Now anchor Andini Effendi talks with newly-crowned Miss Indonesia 2010 Nadine Alexandra Dewi Ames on October 16. Importance of a contestant’s language skills is discussed.

The winner before her was criticized for her English ability. And now the new Miss Indonesia is having to answer questions about her native language skills.

But Nadine Alexandra Dewi Ames says no worries about her Bahasa Indonesia. We talked with her just a few days after she was crowned in Jakarta, beginning with how she plans to use her position to help the country.

NA: My next step will be to get very involved in all the issues surrounding Indonesia, that is firsthand experience, firsthand involvement. Particularly in my case, my main focus is to look at Kalimantan and the Sumatran orangutans and the situation over there, because that's a personal passion of mine.
And thankfully I've already gotten to know some people that might be useful in helping that project. So I really want to get into that and fly over to Kalimantan, to see firsthand what is going on over there. And what we as Indonesians can do to help.


IN: You've been criticized as not speaking Indonesian fluently. Do you speak Indonesian fluently?

NA: I speak Indonesian. Here's the thing, I lived here for 16 years and I speak Indonesian perfectly. Before this, four years ago, I was in a sinetron (TV series) and I spoke Indonesian fluently. It's just, I've been absent from Indonesia and for the past four years.
I mean, it's understandable because the population in the village, village, where I was studying at was, of Indonesians, the population was one. The Indonesian was me. So who am I going to practice Indonesian with? I mean, I've been working out, gearing myself up, because I wanted to go to school in England.


So I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. But I speak Indonesian and I understand where the public is coming from and I appreciate their criticisms. I appreciate where they are coming from and I understand, as their representative, I'm responsible to make myself enough for their standards.


IN: So do you see yourself in Miss Universe probably, top 5, top 3… do you see yourself in that position next year?

MI: You know, that’s every girl's dream to be walking down the catwalk with the rest of the 80 beauties of the world and have that opportunity.

I personally want to see myself up on top, even in the pageant in Indonesia I said to myself ‘I'm going see myself in the top 3.’ What do you know, I did! So a lot of motivation has to come inside from yourself, you have to be determined what you do, and you have to be determined to take that step.



Courtesy: Indonesia Now, Metro TV

0 comments:

Post a Comment