Friday, May 2, 2014

Miss USA 2014: Exclusive Interview with Lexi Atkins


She reminds me a lot of Kirsten Dunst in her mid-career, the Bring It On days. Both are blonde and beautiful, vibrant and talented. Both started a career with TV commercials and were signed with reputable modeling agencies. But one thing for sure, Kirsten was never a beauty queen in reality!

There is a strong aura of filmstar in her. This 21-year-old queen has been trained in acting and dancing too. She sure doesn't play around. Her first feature film, Zombeavers, was just premiered at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival (TFF). I wouldn't be surprised if one day she becomes one of the next Hollywood's 'it' girls.

When I first contacted her, I had this feeling that she would ignore me. But much to my surprise, she responded to me in such a positive manner. I love her even more. Well, I have to admit, it wasn't easy to interview a Miss USA (bold it, please?) candidate. The bravest of the brave! It was my first ever interview with a Miss USA contestant. Thanks a ton to Miss Illinois USA 2014, Ms Lexi Atkins for making it much easier.

Here she talks about Miss USA, her inspiration and next project.

Q: First of all, congratulations on your movie Zombeavers premiere at the 2014 TFF. How do you feel about it?
A: Thanks so much! I'm really really excited about it. It is my first feature film and has been getting a lot of buzz lately which is great. Watching it for the first time at TFF was everything I had hoped for and more.


Q: Tell me how did you get this role.
A: I had recently just signed with my managers at Luber Roklin (Entertainment), and this movie was one of the first auditions they sent me out on. I come from a very big improv/comedy background which definitely helped me not only through the auditioning process but throughout the whole movie as well.

Q: What was your acting debut and when?
A: My first acting role was actually in 2010. I had a small part in the movie The Dilemma directed by Ron Howard.


Q: Name Hollywood actors you would love to star opposite and why.
A: Will Ferrell! I am obsessed with him or any of his movies. I think he is hilarious and I know one day we will be working together. Meryl Streep... well for obvious reasons! She is a genius and is someone that I definitely look up to in the industry. If I were to star opposite of her I think I'd definitely be able to finally say "Look mom, I made it!"

Q: Do you have films in line? If yes, could you share a bit?
A: Yes, I have a few actually. I'm working on one right now called Some Kind of Hate. It is an indie horror that I'm really really excited about. The cast and everyone on set are super awesome, and I am very happy to be a part of this project.


Q: From Miss Teen USA to Miss USA. How much have you changed?
A: I have changed a lot in the past few years. I am constantly changing and growing which is something that I have learned to love about myself and it's another reason why I love what I do.

Q: Miss USA has always been my Miss Universe prototype. It's so diverse and universal. In your opinion, as an American yourself, what distinguishes Miss USA from other national pageants?
A: I have not ever competed in any other pageants so I can not give a personal example of the difference between them all. But I can say that I am truly honored to say that I am and have been a part of Miss Universe Organization (MUO). They have been such a stepping stone in my life and in my career. My experiences with MUO have been nothing but positive.


Q: Who's your inspiration in life and why?
A: One of my biggest inspirations in life is my grandfather. He has always been someone that I have looked up to every since I was a little girl, and I am so blessed to have had such an amazing man in my life. He has helped shape me into the woman that I am today, and he is truly missed daily from not only myself and my family, but to everyone who has ever known him! He's taught me that any dream can become reality and that giving back to your community is just as important as giving to yourself.


Q: Please share your beauty secrets.
A: I am a brand ambassador for Essential Living Foods (ELF) which provides the highest quality food, nutrition, health and beauty products to retail supply chains as well as direct to consumers. I use all of ELF's products and I'd definitely say that they've been part of my beauty regime. Staying healthy inside and out is not only something that I'm passionate about, but it's also a part of my job. Our core principles at ELF are: conscious consumerism, direct relationships with our farmers and suppliers, respect for and protection of the environment, and respect for communities where we do business.

Q: Message to your supporters and fans.
A: To all my supporters and fans, I'd just love to say that I love each and everyone of you... and that all of your kind words and wishes are truly appreciated! I have a lot of really fun projects coming up and a lot that are in the works to soon released. So stay tuned, there is much more to come. Love always, Lexi.


Did you know?
Lexi was the Miss Illinois Teen USA 2010 and 1st Runner-up of Miss Teen USA 2010. She has been featured in two big national commercials, Mentos and Adidas.


Interviewed by Dionysus
Images courtesy of Getty, Epic Pictures, Miss Illinois USA Official, Miss USA Official

2 comments:

Robert Youngs said...

Congratulations Lexi, we will be watching June 8th!!
www.robertyoungsacupuncture.com

Sylvia said...

You're very well-spoken!

Post a Comment